Thursday, May 04, 2006

The Week of Hell

Wow. I'm finally sitting down to write this. i've been thinking about this for months, and this past week finally culminated in it all. If you didn't know, I work in an italian restaraunt. I mentioned some blogs I found about the restaraunt business, that really put into perspective what it's like. It's now my turn to try my hand at this. I signed on to the resteraunt as a busboy. This past week though, I did enough serving too. The last time I wrote, I was worried about settling in with the resteraunt owners. I was nervous and jittery, and I didn't think they really liked me. I know they do now though. Here follows though a rant about my last week. The type of people I hate. What you should avoid doing in a resteraunt, otherwise you look like an ass. I need to make it known as well, that the majority of rants come when we're nearly full capacity, with me and two waitresses. Which is monday through thursday.

1) as part of the busboy dealy, I am also the host. It's my job to sit people, and make sure they get their water first off. If you walk in with a party of two, I'm going to try my best to sit you at a table of two. Especially if it's busy. Look around. Is it busy? If it is, please sit where I seat you. yes, we have corners. Little private places that are perfect for couples. It doesn't mean if I sit you there, you will be ignored. I tell the waitresses where you are at. I'll check in from time to time, to take down plates that are in the way, and see if everything is ok. NEVER EVER, sit down at a table that you like better, because you think that you can play me by making me think you "thought" I was leading you to that table. I would NOT seat a 2-top at a 4-top if we're busy. Even WORSE, NEVER CHANGE SEATS WITHOUT TELLING US.

worse comes to worst, just ASK if you can be seated elsewhere. Then I'll take the best steps to make sure you're comfortable, and we are comfortable as well.

2) Don't order from the person that sits you. They're most likely the host. If you're in a hurry, let the host know. I'll make sure to get the waitress out to you as fast as possible. It's only gonna slow us down if you give me an order, that I can't write down because it's not my job. Then I try and remember it, probably get it wrong, and the waitress will just come back to confirm it. Pissing you off in the process.

3) look at our hours. Please try and hurry if we're a half an hour away from closing. Don't take your sweet time drinking and talking. If you want to do that, come in earlier. Go out to dinner, BEFORE the movie.

4) This isn't a rant, but just a courtesy. Try and gether up all you've finished. Put plates on top of each other, let me know if you don't want any more refills on your drinks. I don't want to carry four full waters plus you plates to the back. That shit gets heavy.

5) Please don't leave a shit tip. If you've seen Resevoir Dogs, I used to believe in that whole "Don't tip just because society deems it necessary." Seriously. If you KNEW the work we do, you would leave a tip no matter what. and always 15%.

6) Don't act like you KNOW the owners. Yes, our owners love talking to their customers, and I haven't had a problem with anyone saying "I know the owner!!! treat me better!!!!" #1 because I do a good job, and #2 because you don't know them as well as I do. He may have talked to you, got you something one the house, but that's to make sure you come back, and he likes you. This doesn't mean you "know" him.

I'm out. I'll come back with more as it comes.

3 Comments:

At Fri May 05, 08:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Stuyvesant Parker said...

stop whining, food service boy. if you hate the job so much why don't you GO TO COLLEGE and GET A REAL JOB

fucking hippies

 
At Fri May 05, 11:00:00 PM PDT, Blogger Obsydian said...

This coming from a person with NO job. I'm just letting vent some steam.

I like my job. There is just shit I can bitch about that makes a good post.

 
At Thu May 18, 01:03:00 AM PDT, Blogger Ender said...

Just because we dont have real jobs yet doesnt mean we cant bitch about them. Food service sucks balls, but you've got to have money coming from somewhere if you want to pay the bills. Sure Id like like a nice office job that paid well, but I'll take what I can get. Itd be stupid to let pride get in the way of my responsibilities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home