Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Changes For Better, Or Worse

Despite some of the changes I feel I have made concerning my direction in life, there is one thing I have yet to change. My mind going at full throttle with every thought imaginable, at one time. My ability to complicate even the simplest things is still in high gear. I have so many thoughts in my head at one time with any given situation it slows my reactions to situations down. Sometimes frustratingly so, especially if it's an opportunity which I didn't realize at the time.

I'll sit back right now, and sort some out. Starting with the most recent turn of events. I hung out with a few good friends tonight. We went to a show at the Troubadour. It was a show with Tarentel, Mono, and Pelican. The one that impressed me the most was Mono. A band from Japan, they play post-rock extremely well. The show they put on was serene and melodic, and then unleased into a fury of energy that blew me away. The songs were structured in a beautiful compositional structure that told a great story to anyone that imagined it.

Tarentel on the other hand sucked balls. I'm sorry but they have no idea what the fuck music is. Their "songs" if you can call them that, were pure unadulterated noise, played at the highest decibal level possible. It was most definitely the worst band I have ever seen play live, and I thought that I had already seen that. I've been to plenty of metal shows with horrible bands, but even that is more musical than tarentel. That's saying something. Avoid them at all costs.

Pelican was unexpected. Hearing some of the songs on their album they sounded like normal post rock. Songs structured in a symphonic way that breaks ino chaos to express the best the bands have to offer. In post rock, it's often these sections that truly mean something to me. The ones that give way into the true structure of a song, the ones that have evolved beyond noise into structure. Pelican live though, is far different. They go with an extremely hard sound. Unfortunately that works agianst them. I kept wondering at what point the lyrics were going to fall in line with the rest of the music. They are really goos at what they do, they put on a pretty good show, but it was as if they were actually trying to melt faces. Instead of going with what they had already accomkplished on the album, they tried to make it as mind blowing as possible. They simply tried too hard for this, and they failed at it. Like I said they were good, and if you're at a show where they are playing, you might enjoy it, but put simply, they altered their original sound far too much in an attempt to make it better, which in my opinion didn't work.

As it stands it was by far one of the best nights I've had, and I highly recommend checking out Mono if you're into post rock. They just might become one of your favorites.

I don't quite feel like getting into any of the problems I have right now, so I will save that for a later post, since right now, I still don't feel like I can express them well enough for any of you to get a clear picture of what's going on. That's back to my number one problem. My mind thinking so fast I can't keep up. I'm getting better at it, but I am still not quite there... unfortunately.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home