Sunday, April 10, 2005

The perfect 10?

As long as I have been on the internet, I've played games for far longer. I started back in 1992, with a Sega Genesis. I got it for my birthday. Years passed by, Technology advanced, I had both a Playstation and a Playstation 2, which was later destroyed thanks to DRE's. I was at a time, a Sony fanboy. In my eyes, Sony could do no wrong, that is until the whole DRE issue. For those of you who don't know, a DRE is an acronym for Disc Read Error, and is almost synonomus with the Playstation 2. It had become a major black-eye for them, and apparently they didn't learn from thier mistakes when they launched the PSP, which has dead pixel issues.

left without anything to entertain myself with, I went out and bought an Xbox, which I had previously loathed, until a few games of Halo at jasons house on his LAN. those became a regular thing during my senior year. So when I needed a replacement I turned to the Xbox, which I have never regretted since getting it. It's quite a nice piece of hardware, and I have had no problems with it.

I'm looking foward to the successor to the Xbox, which will be announced at E3, at least officially. As long as I have had the internet though, it has become a very valuable resource in terms of my buying decisions. When I had my playstation and genesis, I occasionally bought Gamepro, a magazine which covered all aspects of the gaming industry, previewing and reviewing games. I eventually grew out of it. Gamepro is now probably the worst possible gaming magazine to buy, since its reviews lack any sort of depth at all. during my PS2 days, I bought copies of the Official Playstaion Magazine, which was a good publishment with good columns and articles. It was specific, and served my needs well. Until my PS2 broke that is. When I reserved Halo 2 back in april of 2003, I also got a gamespot membership card, which gave me discounts on used games, and a free 10 issue subscrition to GameInformer. That's now my periodical ofr choice. Their reviews go into alot more depth then any other, and their articles are nicely written with some thought behind them. One of their columns actually help me get in touch with a programmer at Rainbow Studios, who helped me out by answering a few questions for my senior project.

Now though, my resource consists mainly of the internet. While I had those magazines, I would always get a second opinion on reviews, and for that I've always turned to IGN.com IGn has become a monster of a media outlet, now not only serving the gaming community, but also serving movie goers as well with their Film Force department. They do reviews on new tech products and cars, and even have a mini babes section, giving us guys the pictures we want, while giving relatively unknown models a break. I mainly use Ign for it's reviews, since they are very in-depth and have proven themselves in the past. If it's good, IGN knows it, and I'll buy it. All of the games I own are rated above 8.0 by IGN, and most are above 9. Sometimes this is an accident, sometimes not. I like making sure I spend my $50 on a quality item, and with IGN they have never proved me wrong. They have also never given out a 10. This is another thing that I like IGN for. If a game ever recieves a 10, it would probably be the best in history. Of course everyone has their own opinion, but IGN has always provided solid reviews, with little opinion involved.

The Xbox section got a game as close to a 10 as possible today though. Ign put forth their review of "Jade Empire" a game developed by a Bioware, who could be considered the "new kid on the block." In the game inedustry. Their first entry, "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" has been regailed as a masterpiece, but everyone who has played it will at least say it is "Badass."

While I myself have never played it, since I am no fan of RPG's, I may be converting solely for "Jade Empire"

IGN gave it a 9.9 which I have only seen one other time previously, for Rockstar Games money maker, and politicians favorite target, "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas."

I had little doubt that GTA:SA wouldn't be great, but it still shocked me in every way. It deserved a 10 in my opinion, since it's rich depth and massive world really immersed the player in the experience. I'm a sucker for online gaming, and Halo 2 hits that nail on the head, but for a game that is completely offline, and is a mainly single-player affair, GTA:SA is as close to perfect as I can think. I can't wait for it to be released on Xbox this June, and I look forward to any improvements rockstar might make on it.

"Jade Empire" however, now has the badge of honor. It's a higher score than any other RPG has been given, including the prestigious "Final Fantasy" series. I'm very interested in playing it, since it isn't an RPG i'd hate. It's more of an Action RPG, and as much as I don't like to admit it, Ihave liked a few RPG's in my day. I never finished one though.

I liked FFVIII, but X I stuck with the longest. X was a wonder of a game, and I really do wish I could finish it. I also enjoyed Parasite Eve, and wish I could finish that. I have yet to play an RPG on my Xbox, but maybe the time has come.

2 Comments:

At Mon Apr 11, 05:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ender said...

Ive got good news for you. When I come home over break, I might just end up leaving my PS2 at your place. You'll have to start over again since my memory card was erased, but I'm sure you'll finish X in no time. No way Im gonna play XI on dial up, so I might be over more often.

 
At Tue Apr 12, 01:05:00 AM PDT, Blogger Obsydian said...

Dude, I have the save on my memory card, which I still have. Just make sure you bring along Red Faction. I've had a hankerin to play that for a while now. I want to fuck around with the Railgun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home